Language and the creative mind / edited by Michael Borkent, Barbara Dancygier, and Jennifer Hinnell
- Stanford, CA : CSLI Publications, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xix, 444 pages ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Borkent, Michael, Dancygier, Barbara, Hinnell, Jennifer, Conceptual Structure, Discourse, and Language Conference (11th : 2012 : Vancouver, BC), and Conceptual Structure, Discourse, and Language Conference
- Machine generated contents note: Creativity versus Conventionality -- 1.Development of Metaphorical Thinking: The Role of Language / Daniel Casasanto -- 2.Conventional but Not Dead: The Role of Metaphorically-Based Connections in the On-Line Processing of Prepositional Meaning / Brooke O. Breaux -- 3.Creativity and the Sensorimotor Grounding of Mathematics / Teenie Matlock -- 4.How Creativity Strains Conventionality in the Use of Idiomatic Expressions / Patrick J. Duffley -- Constructions and Frames -- 5.The Indefinite Article in Complex Quantifiers / Ronald W. Langacker -- 6.`Leap' or `Continuum'?: Grammaticalization Pathways from Conjunctions to Sentence-Final Particles / Katsunobu Izutsu -- 7.Negative Affect Conditionality in Korean -taka / Jisup Hong -- 8.Favorable and Unfavorable Effects: A Typology of Benefactive and Adversative Constructions in Japanese, Korean, and Ainu / Takeshi Koguma -- 9.A Multi-Frame Analysis of Separation Verbs / Eve Sweetser -- Creativity and Discourse -- 10.Creative Reading, World, and Style in Ben Jonson's `To Celia' / Peter Stockwell -- 11.What is Literary `Atmosphere'? The Role of Fictive Motion in Understanding Ambience in Fiction / Mark Deggan -- 12.Motion Metaphors in Political Races / Teenie Matlock -- 13.Think of it as: Spacebuilders and Grounding in Public Science Discourse / Carol Lynn Moder -- 14.Conceptual Blending in Allegorical Political Rhetoric: Creativity in Managalase (Papua New Guinea) Oral Tradition / William H. McKellin -- Viewpoint, Language, and the Body -- 15.Creativity Across Modalities in Viewpoint Construction / Eve Sweetser -- 16.Multimodal Construction Grammar / Mark Turner -- 17.Thinking with the Body: Conceptual Integration through Gesture in Multi-Viewpoint Model Construction / Francis Steen -- 18.Metaphors for Sensorimotor Experiences: Gestures as Embodied and Dynamic Conceptualizations of Balance in Dance Lessons / Silva H. Ladewig -- 19.Balancing Acts: Image Schemas and Force Dynamics as Experiential Essence in Pictures by Paul Klee and their Gestural Enactments / Irene Mittelberg -- 20.Where Do Cognitive Biases Fit Into Cognitive Linguistics? An Example from the `Curse of Knowledge' / Vera Tobin -- Sound, Image, and Communicative Modalities -- 21.Wiggle Room: How Gestural Parameters Affect Singer and Audience Cognition in Art Song Performance / Eric Vatikiotis-Bateson -- 22.Iconic Pitch Expresses Vertical Space / Marlene Johansson Falck -- 23.Convergence in Music and Language Syntactic Representations / Christina Galeano.
- 9781575866703 (Paper) and 1575866706 (Paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 12141236