Secularism, identity, and enchantment / Akeel Bilgrami
- Bilgrami, Akeel, 1950-
- Uniform Title:
- Essays. Selections
- Cambridge, Massachusetts : Harvard University Press, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 397 pages ; 25 cm.
- Convergences: inventories of the present
- Secularism -- Secularism: its content and context -- Secularism and the very concept of law -- Liberalism and the academy -- Secular enchantment -- Gandhi, the philosopher -- Gandhi (and Marx) -- The political possibilities of the long romantic period -- Identity -- What is a Muslim? fundamental commitment and cultural identity -- Notes toward the definition of identity -- After the Fatwah: twenty years of controversy -- Reflections on Edward Said -- Occidentalism, the very idea: an essay on the enlightenment, enchantment, and the democratic mentality -- The freedom of beginnings -- Edward said: an intellectual and personal tribute.
- 9780674052048 and 0674052048
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 12141285