Mindful discipline : a loving approach to setting limits & raising an emotionally intelligent child / Shauna Shapiro, PhD, Chris White, MD ; foreword by Christine Carter, PhD ; foreword by Dean Ornish, MD.
- Foreword / by Dean Ornish -- Foreword / by Christine Carter -- A discipline we can feel proud of. Introduction ; Why discipline matters ; How self-discipline develops ; Mindfulness ; The mindful discipline approach ; Relationship -- The five essential elements of mindful discipline. Unconditional love ; Space ; Mentorship ; Healthy boundaries ; Mis-takes ; The heart of maturity ; Epilogue -- Appendices. Discipline and the brain ; The basics of attachment ; Qualities and capacities of a healthy, self-disciplined individual ; The promise and perils of praise.
- "Kids need both love and limits in order to thrive. In Mindful Discipline, a pediatrician and an internationally recognized mindfulness expert offer parents simple yet powerful tools for raising mindful, respectful, and responsible children. Grounded in mindfulness and the latest research in neuroscience, this book will teach readers how to foster their child's emotional intelligence and self-esteem while also encouraging genuine cooperation. With simple practices, such as honoring a child's strengths, setting limits, and setting a positive example, parents can teach their child the self-discipline and resilience they will need to thrive in life"-- and "Raising happy, compassionate, and responsible children requires both love and limits. In Mindful Discipline, internationally recognized mindfulness expert Shauna Shapiro and pediatrician Chris White weave together ancient wisdom and modern science to provide new perspectives on parenting and discipline. Grounded in mindfulness and neuroscience, this pioneering book redefines discipline and outlines the five essential elements necessary for children to thrive: unconditional love, space for children to be themselves, mentorship, healthy boundaries, and mis-takes that create learning and growth opportunities. In this book, you will also discover parenting practices such as setting limits with love, working with difficult emotions, and forgiveness and compassion meditations that place discipline within a context of mindfulness. This relationship-centered approach will restore your confidence as a parent and support your children in developing emotional intelligence, self-discipline, and resilience-qualities they need for living an authentic and meaningful life"--
- 9781608828845 (pbk.) and 1608828840 (pbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 203-206).
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries); 2013
View MARC record | catkey: 12351600