Historical Perspectives of Fisheries Exploitation in the Indo-Pacific [electronic resource] / edited by Joseph Christensen, Malcolm Tull
- MARE Publication Series , 2212-6260 ; 12
- 1. Introduction: Historical Perspectives of Fisheries Exploitation in the Indo-Pacific -- 2. Unsettled Seas: Towards a History of Marine Animal Populations in the Central Indo-Pacific -- 3. Changing practice in the Madras marine fisheries: legacies of the Fish Curing Yards -- 4. History of shark fishing in Indonesia -- 5. A history of whaling in the Philippines: A glimpse of the past and current distribution of whales -- 6. Brackish water shrimp farming and the growth of aquatic monocultures in coastal Bangladesh -- 7. Evolution and development of the Taiwanese offshore tuna fishery -- 8. History of industrial tuna fishing in the Pacific Islands -- 9. Southern Bluefin Tuna: a contested history -- 10. The NSW steam trawl fishery on the south-east continental shelf of Australia, 1915-1961 -- 11.Exploiting Green and Hawksbill Turtles in Western Australia: the Commercial Marine Turtle Fishery -- 12. Shifting baselines or shifting currents: an environmental history of fish and fishing in the south-west capes region of Western Australia -- 13. Shark Bay snapper: science, policy, and the decline and recovery of a marine recreational fishery -- 14. Conclusion: Learning from Asian and Indo-Pacific Fisheries History.
- The waters of the Indo-Pacific were at the centre of the global expansion of marine capture fisheries in the twentieth century, yet surprisingly little has been written about this subject from a historical perspective. This book, the first major study of the history of fishing in Asia and Oceania, presents the case-studies completed through the History of Marine Animal Populations (HMAP) initiative. It examines the marine environmental history and historical marine ecology of the Indo-Pacific during a period that witnessed the dramatic escalation of industrial fishing in these seas.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
View MARC record | catkey: 12353390