Education in Greek and Roman antiquity [electronic resource] / edited by Yun Lee Too
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2001.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xi, 477 pages)
- Additional Creators:
- Too, Yun Lee
- Restrictions on Access:
- Available to subscribing member institutions only.
- Introduction: Writing the History of Ancient Education / "Public" and "Private" in Early Greek Institutions of Education / Sophists without Rhetoric: The Arts of Speech in Fifth-Century Athens / Legal Instructions in Classical Athens / Liberal Education in Plato's Republic and Aristotle's Politics / The Debate Over Civic Education in Classical Athens / Basic Education in Epicureanism / The Grammarian's Choice: The Popularity of Euripides' Phoenissae in Hellenistic and Roman Education / Education in the Roman Republic: Creating Traditions / The Progymnasmata as Practice / Controlling Reason: Declamation in Rhetorical Education at Rome / The Problems of the Past in Imperial Greek Education / Images as Education in the Roman Empire (2nd-3rd Centuries C.E.) / The New Math: How to Add and to Subtract Pagan Elements in Christian Education / The Schools of Platonic Philosophy of the Roman Empire: The Evidence of the Biographies / Yun Lee Too -- Mark Griffith -- Andrew Ford -- Yun Lee Too -- Andrea Wilson Nightingale -- Josiah Ober -- Elizabeth Asmis -- Raffaella Cribiore -- Anthony Corbeill -- Ruth Webb -- Robert A. Kaster -- Joy Connolly -- Aline Rousselle -- Sara Rappe -- Robert Lamberton.
- This text examines the idea of ancient education in a series of essays which span the archaic period to late antiquity. It calls into question the idea that education in antiquity is a disinterested process, arguing that teaching and learning were activities that occurred in the context of society.
9789047400134 (electronic book)
1417536535 (electronic bk.)
9781417536535 (electronic bk.)
9047400135 (electronic bk. : Adobe Reader)
9789047400134 (electronic bk. : Adobe Reader)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -472) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 12356196