How the NIH can help you get funded : an insider's guide to grant strategy / Michelle L. Kienholz and Jeremy M. Berg
- National Institutes of Health -- Institutes and centers -- Center for scientific review and the peer review process -- Office of Extramural Research -- Federal budget process -- NIH funding data and trends -- Getting at mechanism -- Telling your story well -- Presenting your message well -- Getting by with a little help from your friends -- Before and after the review -- Is the check in the mail? -- The check is not in the mail -- The check is in the mail but.
- How the NIH Can Help You Get Funded takes a novel, non-formulaic approach in teaching readers how to "write a grant" -- and much more. The authors draw on their decades of experience working with both investigators and NIH personnel to anticipate their questions and concerns and help establish a comfortable, productive partnership between them. The authors advise readers on developing each component of the grant application in order of the components' influence on the final impact score. Individual funding mechanisms are reviewed along with grantsmanship tips specific to each. Readers learn the importance of reviewer-friendly formatting and organization of the text. The final chapters cover next steps after the application has been submitted-before, during, and after the review and funding decision. Strategies for resubmitting or repurposing applications are provided for those readers whose applications do not receive awards. The authors likewise anticipate the needs of readers who do receive funding but have questions on managing and maintaining their award. Amid ever-increasing competition for government research grants, How the NIH Can Help You Get Funded is an invaluable manual for how to pursue -- and sustain -- NIH funding.
- National Institutes of Health (U.S.)
- Biomedical Research--economics--United States
- Financing Organized--United States
- Federal government—United States
- Government Agencies--United States
- Research Support N.I.H. Extramural--United States
- Biomedical Research—economics
- Financing, Organized
- Federal Government
- Government Agencies
- Research Support, N.I.H., Extramural
- United States
- 9780199989645 (alk. paper)
0199989648 (alk. paper)
- Includes index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries); 2013
View MARC record | catkey: 12554676