The psychology of Black boys and adolescents / Kirkland C. Vaughans and Warren Spielberg, editors ; introduction by Marian Wright Edelman
- Practical and applied psychology
- VOLUME 1. 1. Invisibility Syndrome and Racial Identity Development in Psychotherapy and Counseling in African American Men -- 2. Trying Not to Know -- 3. Attachment Disorders in Inner-City Adolescent Males -- 4. The Power of the Peer Group in the Development of Male Identity -- 5. Gender-Nonconforming, Black, Male Children: Endangered, Misunderstood, and Mistreated -- 6. African American Boys' and Young Men's Experiences of Racism-Related Stress -- 7. Too Cool for School -- 8. The Impact of Social and Cultural Forces on the Academic Achievement of African American Males -- 9. Black Boys and Special Education-Change Is Needed! -- 10. Trying Not to Learn-How Black Boys Respond to the Education System -- 11. Single-Sex Schools for Black and Latino Boys: An Intervention in Search of Theory -- 12. Black Adolescent Boys in Urban Independent Schools: A View from the Sidelines -- 13. Shame as an Accelerator for the Cycle of Underachievement of African American Latency-Age Boys -- 14. What's Masculinity Got to Do with It? Moving Beyond Masculinity and Toward a Historical Reconstruction of Black Men's Studies. and VOLUME 2. 15. Engaging Urban Youth in the Age of Hip-Hop -- 16. Race and Trauma in African American Children -- 17. Gang-Involved African American Youth: An Overview -- 18. When the Officer Is Unfriendly -- 19. African American Adolescent Males and Delinquency: A Protective Factors Model -- 20. Racial Discrimination, Identity, and Health Risk Behavior among African American Adolescent Males -- 21. The Role of Paternal Health Socialization in Preadolescent African American Male Health Behavior -- 22. Fatherhood in Contemporary Black America, Invisible but Present -- 23. A Call to Men -- 24. African American Single Mothers Raising Sons: Strategies and Dilemmas -- 25. Poor African American Fathers: Healthy Moves -- 26. African American Mothers of Academically Successful Sons: Familial Influences and Implications for Clinical Work -- 27. African-Centered Therapeutic and Counseling Interventions for African American Males -- 28. "Harvesting New Generations": African-Centered Rites of Passage -- 29. The Hurting Child Inside the Young Black Male -- 30. The End of the Funnel -- 31. Disavowed Fragments of the Intergenerational Transmission of Trauma from Slavery among African Americans -- 32. Nihilism as a Treatment Issue in Minority Male Adolescents.
- "Drawing on personal insights and research-based knowledge, this important work facilitates understanding of the psychological struggles of young African American males and offers ameliorative strategies"--
- 9780313381980 (hardback), 0313381984 (hardback), and 9780313381997 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries); 2014
View MARC record | catkey: 12741496