Tudors versus Stewarts : the fatal inheritance of Mary, Queen of Scots / Linda Porter
- Porter, Linda, 1947-
- Uniform Title:
- Crown of thistles
- New York : St. Martin's Press, 2014.
- First U.S. edition.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 523 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations, genealogical tables ; 25 cm
- Part 1: Ill-gotten thrones, 1485-1488. 'This pretty lad' ; The Field of Stirling -- Part 2: The road to Flodden Field, 1488-1513. Uneasy crowns ; The impostor ; A summer wedding ; Brothers in arms -- Part 3: Half a Tudor, 1513-1542. Queen and country ; The young King ; Uncle and nephew ; Solway Moss -- Part 4: 'The most perfect child', 1542-1568. 'Rough wooings' and Reformation ; Daughter of France ; The return of the Queen ; Downfall.
- Evaluates the rivalry between the fertile Stewarts and barren Tudors as critical to the sixteenth-century British Isles, tracing three generations of feuding that led to the violent competition for the throne between Elizabeth I and Mary, Queen of Scots.
- 9780312590741 (hardcover)
- First published in Great Britain as: Crown of thistles : the fatal inheritance of Mary Queen of Scots. London, Macmillan, 2013.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 501-508) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 12741692