Miscellaneous collections and observations relating to the English language
- Restrictions on Access:
- Unrestricted access.
- John Ward transcribed passages from Johnson's English grammar, 1640 edition, on sixteen pages. John Loveday (1711-1789) added commentary on pages 16-18, four words omitted from Johnson's English dictionary on page 73, and one loose sheet laid in of a list of books published on English grammar.
- Formerly part of an 18th-century library in Williamscote House near Banbury, Oxfordshire, England, assembled by John Loveday (1711-1789), philologist and antiquary, who lived at Caversham in Oxfordshire. The library was moved to Williamscote House in 1799 by John Loveday the second (1742-1809), Doctor of Laws.
- In Rare Books and Manuscripts, University Libraries, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pa. (#RBM 9557/Mss. book 24) and Williamscote Library shelfmark K.5.-20.
- Administrative History:
- John Ward was an English teacher (professor of rhetoric), supporter of learned societies, and biographer, remembered for his work on the Gresham College professors, of which he was one. Ward rendered assistance in the publication of Robert Ainsworth's Latin Dictionary, 1736, and also the editions of 1746 and 1752.
View MARC record | catkey: 12761549