Dido and Aeneas / Henry Purcell
- Purcell, Henry, 1659-1695
- [London] : Virgin Classics, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (1 sound file)
- Additional Creators:
- Tate, Nahum, 1652-1715, Tilling, Camilla, Boever, Cécile de, Graham, Susan, 1960-, Palmer, Felicity, Bostridge, Ian, Agnew, Paul, Daniels, David, 1966-, Haïm, Emmanuelle, Virgil, European Voices, and Concert d'Astrée (Musical group)
- Language Note:
- Sung in English.
- SYNOPSIS: In order to cure her unhappiness, Dido, queen of Carthage, marries the Trojan prince, Aeneas, who is madly in love with her. While Dido and Aeneas are out hunting, an evil Sorceress and her assistants plot the destruction of Dido and Carthage. Soon, an evil witch disguised as the God Mercury stops Aeneas. She tells him that he must abandon Carthage and found a new Troy on Latin soil. While Aeneas hates the thought of leaving Dido, he cannot refuse a god's command. In the end, Aeneas decides to defy the god's command and stay with Dido. Nevertheless, Dido refuses to stay with a lover who even considered leaving her and soon dies.
- Opera in 3 acts.
Libretto by Nahum Tate, based on Virgil's Aeneid.
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Camilla Tilling, Cécile de Boever, sopranos ; Susan Graham, mezzo-soprano ; Felicity Palmer, contralto ; Ian Bostridge, Paul Agnew, tenors ; David Daniels, countertenor ; European Voices ; Le Concert d'Astrée ; Emmanuelle Haïm, conductor.
- Data/Place of Event:
- Recorded 2003 March 14-16 Arsenal de Metz, France.
View MARC record | catkey: 12763720