A social history of student volunteering : Britain and beyond, 1880-1980 / Georgina Brewis
- Brewis, Georgina
- New York, NY : Palgrave Macmillan, 2014.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 263 pages ; 23 cm.
- Historical studies in education
- Introduction -- A new era in social service? : student associational culture and the settlement movement -- Christian internationalism, social study and the universities before 1914 -- The student chapter in post-war reconstruction, 1920-1926 -- No longer the privilege of the well-to-do? : student culture, strikes and self-help, 1926-1932 -- Digging with the unemployed : the rise of a student social consciousness, 1932-1939 -- Students in action : students and anti-fascist relief efforts, 1933-1939 -- The students' contribution to victory : voluntary work in the second world war and after -- Experiments in living : student social service and social action, 1950-1965 -- From service to action -- rethinking student voluntarism, 1965-1980 -- Conclusions : students and social change, 1880-1980.
- 9781137370136 (hardcover : alk. paper) and 1137370130 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 12962109