The world of the revolutionary American republic : land, labor, and the conflict for a continent / edited by Andrew Shankman
- New York, NY : Routledge, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- xvii, 460 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Shankman, Andrew, 1970-
- Routledge worlds
- Introduction: conflict for a continent: land, labor, and the state in the first American republic / Andrew Shankman -- Section I. Origins of the revolutionary American republic -- Producing empire: the British empire in theory and practice / Zara Anishanslin -- Slavery and the causes of the American Revolution in plantation British America / Trevor Burnard -- Native nations in the Age of Revolution / Christina Snyder -- Section II. The quest for continental control -- Independent for whom?: expansion and conflict in the south and southwest / Kathleen DuVal -- Independence for whom?: expansion and conflict in the northeast and northwest / Alyssa Mt. Pleasant -- "Such things ought not to be": the American Revolution and the first national great depression / Allan Kulikoff -- Consolidating a revolutionary republic / Max M. Edling -- The empire of liberty: land of the free, home of the slave / Peter S. Onuf -- Atlantic antislavery, American ambition: the problem of slavery in the United States in an age of disruption, 1770-1808 / James Alexander (Alec) Dun -- The War of 1812: the struggle for a continent / Alan Taylor -- The theory of civilized sentiments: emotion and the creation of the United States / Nicole Eustace -- Section III. The emergence of a continental hegemon -- Natural rights and national greatness: economic ideology and social policy in the American states, 1780s-1820s / J.M. Opal -- Land conflict and land policy in the United States, 1785-1841 / Reeve Huston -- The "high-road to a slave empire": conflict and the growth and expansion of slavery on the North American continent / John Craig Hammond -- Dissenters from the mainstream: the national and international dimensions of moral reform / Emily Conroy-Krutz -- The pendulum swings: the rise of an anti-slavery sentiment between the American Revolution and the Civil War / Richard Newman -- The world the slaveholders craved: proslavery internationalism in the 1850 / Matthew Karp -- The republic in peril: expansion, the politics of slavery, and the crisis of the 1850s / Michael A. Morrison.
- 9780415537087 (hardback : alk. paper)
0415537088 (hardback : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 12962294