The artistic dimension [electronic resource] : literary explorations of the Hebrew Bible / Keith Bodner
- Bodner, Keith, 1967-
- London : Bloomsbury, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (x, 209 pages)
- Library of Hebrew Bible/Old Testament studies ; 590
- pt. I. Textual problems and literary analysis -- pt. II. Readers of the Lost Ark -- pt. III. Further soundings -- pt. IV. The world of chronicles.
- "This volume presents a collection of essays aimed at further integration of literary analysis in the study of the Hebrew Bible. In three sections, Bodner studies a range of texts in order to illustrate that literary analysis has value for exploring numerous issues in the discipline, including text-critical problems, the Deuteronomistic History, and Chronicles. Beginning with a discussion of how literary analysis is a vital, yet neglected, component of textual criticism, Bodner then offers a sustained engagement with one particular section of the Hebrew Bible, the so-called 'ark narrative' of 1 Samuel 4-6. Other areas of the Hebrew Bible are subsequently explored, including a sample of the historiographic material in the Deuteronomistic History and a lengthy text from the book of Proverbs. Part four turns to the often neglected books of 1 & 2 Chronicles, illustrating how the Chronicler's work is a congenial site for literary study. The assembled essays petition for a heightened awareness of the artistic achievement of the Hebrew Bible and illustrate that literary thinking is a necessary component for biblical interpretation."--Bloomsbury Publishing.
- 9781472550828 (electronic bk.)
9780567451965 (print ed.)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other Forms:
- Also issued in print.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. London : Bloomsbury Publishing, 2014. Available via World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreement.
View MARC record | catkey: 13220268