Aeschylus. Prometheus bound [electronic resource] / I.A. Ruffell
- Ruffell, Ian
- London : Bristol Classical Press, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (176 pages)
- Companions to Greek and Roman tragedy
- "Prometheus Bound is a play beloved of revolutionaries, romantics and rebels, with a fierce optimism tempered by an acute awareness of the compromises, dangers and obsessions of political action. This companion sets the play in its historical context, explores its challenge to authority, and traces its reception from the sixteenth to the twentieth century. Many scholars have disputed its Aeschylean authorship, but it has proved the most influential of tragedies outside academia. Marx's favourite tragedy, PrometheusBound is also a foundational text for the genre of science fiction through its influence on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. In its open-eyed celebration of technology and democracy, it is the tragedy for the modern age."--Bloomsbury Publishing.
- 9781472539588 (electronic bk.) and 9780715634769 (print ed.)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other Forms:
- Also issued in print.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. London : Bloomsbury Publishing, 2014. Available via World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreement.
View MARC record | catkey: 13220349