Along Navajo trails [electronic resource] : recollections of a trader, 1898-1948 / by Will Evans ; edited by Susan E. Woods and Robert S. McPherson ; foreword by Charles S. Peterson
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Will Evans, trader to the Navajos -- Starting along the trail -- Views of history around the Four Corners -- Agapito remembers the old days -- Yellow Horse and the Long Walk -- The establishment of trading posts -- Harry Baldwin and the Hogback Post -- Redrock Trading Post -- Little Singer and the beautiful mountain uprising -- Prosperity in reverse -- Oil and gas on Navajo land -- A Christmas Eve in Navajo land -- Navajos I have known -- Costiano -- Black Horse -- Bizhóshí -- Ugly Man -- Fat One and Son of Fat One -- Faith, an episode -- Tragedies in Navajo land -- Sandoval -- Slim policeman -- A dedicated medicine man -- Dan Pete -- Daily life and customs of the Navajo people -- Daily life in a hogan -- Navajo hospitality -- Trading with the Navajos -- Navajo blankets -- Silversmithing -- Cleanliness, clothes, and manners -- Hairstyles -- Tobacco, alcohol, and morality -- Navajo marriage customs and family life -- Divorce -- Tribal traditions and lore -- Sandpaintings -- My first fire dance -- Squaw dance (enemyway) -- Death, witchcraft, and skinwalkers -- Navajos and animals -- Postscript: The death of a man, the end of an era.
- Navajo Indians—New Mexico—Shiprock Region—History
- Navajo Indians—New Mexico—Shiprock Region—Social life and customs
- Navajo weavers—New Mexico—Shiprock Region—History
- Trading posts—New Mexico—Shiprock Region—History
- Indian traders—New Mexico—Shiprock Region—History
- Shiprock Region (N.M.)—History
- Shiprock Region (N.M.)—Social life and customs
- 0874216052 (hardcover : alk. paper) and 0874216060 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 13222056