The republican alternative [electronic resource] : the Netherlands and Switzerland compared / André Holenstein, Thomas Maissen, Maarten Prak (eds.).
- [Amsterdam] : Amsterdam University Press, c2008.
- Physical Description:
- 360 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Holenstein, André, Maissen, Thomas, 1962-, and Prak, Maarten Roy, 1955-
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction : the Dutch and Swiss republics compared / André Holenstein, Thomas Maissen, and Maarten Prak -- 'The league of the discordant members, ' or, How the old Swiss confederation operated and how it managed to survive for so long / Andreas Würgler -- Challenges for the republic : coordination and loyalty in the Dutch republic / Maarten Prak -- Bridging the gap : confessionalisation in Switzerland / Francisca Loetz -- Was the Dutch republic a Calvinist community? The state, the confessions and culture in the early modern Netherlands / Willem Frijhoff -- Inventing the sovereign republic : imperial structures, French challenges, Dutch models and the early modern Swiss confederation / Thomas Maissen -- Turning Swiss? Discord in the Dutch debates / Martin van Gelderen -- The content, form and function of Swiss and Dutch images of history / Olaf Mörke -- Republican art? Dutch and Swiss art and art-production compared / Michael North -- The Dassier workshop in Geneva and the Netherlands : two Calvinist republics expressed in medallic form, 1695-1748 / William Eisler -- Exporting mercenaries, money and Mennonites : a Swiss diplomatic mission to The Hague, 1710-1715 / Stefan Altorfer-Ong -- Republican risks : commerce and agriculture in the Dutch republic / Ida Nijenhuis -- Republican futures : the image of Holland in 18th-century Swiss reform discourse / Béla Kapossy -- Radical elements and attempted revolutions in the late-18th-century republics / Marc Lerner -- Debating the republic : a conference report / Daniel Schläppi.
- 9789089640055 and 9089640053
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 331-351) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 13224811