European textiles / Christa C. Mayer Thurman
- Corporate Author:
- Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, N.Y.)
- New York : The Metropolitan Museum of Art ; Princeton : In association with Princeton University Press, 2001.
- Physical Description:
- xx, 300 pages : illustrations ; 29 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Mayer-Thurman, Christa C.
- The Robert Lehman Collection ; 14
- This volume catalogues the more than 250 textiles and objects made of fabric that were part of Robert Lehman's bequest to the Metropolitan Museum in 1975. Many of these textiles were used as hangings, covers, or upholstery to embellish the Lehmans' elegant townhouse in Manhattan. They represent sixty-five years of assembling, owning, and living with historic fabrics on a day-to-day basis, and they document an American style of living and interior decoration that has largely disappeared. Among the highlights of the collection are two series of embroidered roundels from fifteenth-century Flanders that illustrate the lives of Saints Martin and Catherine of Alexandria; four large tapestries, including the Last Supper after Bernaert van Orley that is arguably the finest Renaissance tapestry in an American collection; and a number of ecclesiastical vestments and panels of magnificent silks and velvets in an array of techniques and styles that span six centuries. Comparative illustrations supplement the catalogue entries. Glossary, bibliography, and index. -- Metropolitan Museum of Art website.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 271-280) and index.
- Reproduction Note:
- Also available as electronic reproduction. Plymouth Meeting, Pa. : codeMantra ; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2012.
View MARC record | catkey: 13227078