Frames / Timothy Newbery
- Newbery, Timothy J.
- Additional Titles:
- Frames in the Robert Lehman Collection
- New York : The Metropolitan Museum of Art ; Princeton : In association with Princeton University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 465 pages : illustrations (some color), plans ; 29 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, N.Y.)
Robert Lehman Collection (Metropolitan Museum of Art)
- The Robert Lehman Collection ; 13
- The Robert Lehman Collection at The Metropolitan Museum of Art houses one of the finest collections of frames in the world. The collection Robert Lehman bequeathed to the Museum includes nearly 400 frames, most of them Italian and French and dating from the 14th to the 18th century. Although he bought most of these frames to display his paintings and drawings, a number of them were acquired as works of art in their own right. Using the documentary evidence that survives, this volume attempts to place these frames on the pictures and in the interiors for which they were intended. For each frame, the author has provided a profile drawing that is a key to its design, origin, date, and application. This volume is the 13th in a series of 16 on the Robert Lehman Collection. -- Metropolitan Museum of Art website.
- Lehman, Robert, 1892-1969—Art collections—Catalogs
- Robert Lehman Collection (Metropolitan Museum of Art)—Catalogs
- Picture frames and framing—Europe—History—Catalogs
- Picture frames and framing—United States—History—Catalogs
- Picture frames and framing—Collectors and collecting—New York (State)—Catalogs
- Picture frames and framing—New York (State)—New York—Catalogs
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 449-456) and index.
- Reproduction Note:
- Also available as electronic reproduction. Plymouth Meeting, Pa. : codeMantra ; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2012.
View MARC record | catkey: 13227131