The Wrightsman pictures / edited by Everett Fahy ; with a preface by Pierre Rosenberg ; and contributions by Elizabeth E. Barker, George R. Goldner, Alain Gruber, Colta Ives, Asher Ethan Miller, Sabine Rewald, Perrin V. Stein, and Gary Tinterow
- New York ; Yale University Press ; New Haven and London : The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2005.
- Physical Description:
- 440 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 29 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Fahy, Everett, Barker, Elizabeth E., Goldner, George R., 1943-, Gruber, Alain Charles, Ives, Colta Feller, Miller, Asher Ethan, Rewald, Sabine, Stein, Perrin, Tinterow, Gary, Wrightsman, Jayne, and Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, N.Y.)
- Part of a collection formed over the past five decades by Mr. and Mrs. Charles Wrightsman, the 124 paintings, drawings, and pastels in this catalogue range in date from the early sixteenth to the late nineteenth century; some remain in Mrs. Wrightsman's personal collection, while others have been given to or purchased for The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Among the most notable of these works are masterpieces by Lorenzo Lotto, Guercino, El Greco, Rubens, Georges de La Tour, Van Dyck, Vermeer, Jacques-Louis David, and Caspar David Friedrich, as well as numerous paintings by the eighteenth-century Venetian artists Canaletto, Guardi, and the Tiepolos, father and son, plus a dozen remarkable portrait drawings by Ingres, the largest holding of the artist's drawings currently in private hands. Well-known artists are joined by those who are lesser known but whose efforts are brought to fresh awareness through the commentary that accompanies each work. -- Metropolitan Museum of Art website.
- 1588391442 (hardcover)
0300107196 (Yale University Press)
- A catalogue on a collection of European paintings and drawings, ranging in date from the late 15th century to the late nineteenth century, that are in the personal collection of Mrs. Jayne Wrightsman or have been given to or purchased by her for The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Reproduction Note:
- Also available as electronic reproduction. Plymouth Meeting, Pa. : codeMantra ; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2012.
View MARC record | catkey: 13227940