Preparing classroom teachers to succeed with second language learners : lessons from a faculty learning community / edited by Thomas H. Levine, Elizabeth R. Howard and David M. Moss
- Routledge research in teacher education
- Part I: Defining the problem space and possibilities. The urgency of preparing teachers for second language learners / Elizabeth R. Howard, Thomas H. Levine, and David M. Moss ; Teacher educator capacity to prepare preservice teachers for work with emergent bilinguals / Thomas H. Levine and Elizabeth R. Howard ; Recruiting and organizing learning among busy faculty members / Thomas H. Levine, Elizabeth R. Howard, And Mileidis Gort -- Part II: Revising courses and developing practices. Using a conceptual frame to infuse material about emergent bilinguals into a teacher education course / Megan E. Staples and Thomas H. Levine ; Solving problems of space, time, and knowledge : how to fit learning about linguistic and cultural diversity into teacher education courses / Douglas Kaufman, Mary P. Truxaw, Alan S. Marcus, Sandra B. Billings, and Manuela Wagner ; Teaching preservice teachers how to learn from - and about - their emergent bilingual students : the foundation for everything else Douglas Kaufman ; Leveraging clinical experiences to prepare teachers for culturally and linguistically diverse students / Rebecca D. Eckert, Susan L. Payne, Robin E. Hands, and René Roselle -- Part III: Assessing outcomes and learning along the way. Assessing progress within and across cohorts / Elizabeth R. Howard, Megan E. Welsh, Thomas H. Levine, and David M. Moss ; Instruction in progress : in search of effective practices for emergent bilinguals / Cory Wright-Maley, Thomas H. Levine, and Eileen M. González ; From professional learning to professional action and back again / Rachael Gabriel And Manuela Wagner ; Preservice teachers' evolving knowledge and practice toward linguistically and culturally responsive pedagogy / Wendy J. Glenn and Mileidis Gort -- Part IV: Moving forward. Pathways to success : models of teacher preparation for cultural and linguistic diversity / David M. Moss, J. Zack, and Susan L. Payne ; Final recommendations for initiating a faculty learning community / Elizabeth R. Howard, Thomas H. Levine, and David M. Moss.
- "This volume identifies resources, models, and specific practices for improving teacher preparation for work with second language learners. It shows how faculty positioned themselves to learn from resources, experts, preservice teachers, their own practice, and each other. The teacher education professionals leverage their experience to offer theoretical and practical insights regarding how other faculty could develop their own knowledge, improve their courses, and understand their influence on the preservice teachers they serve. The book addresses challenges others are likely to experience while improving teacher preparation, including preservice teacher resistance, the challenge of adding to already-packed courses, the difficulty of recruiting and retaining busy faculty members, and the question of how to best frame the larger issues. The authors also address options for integrating the work of improving teacher preparation for linguistic diversity into a variety of different teacher education program designs. Finally, the book demonstrates a data-driven approach that makes this work consistent with many institutions mandate to produce research and to collect evidence supporting accreditation. "--
- 9780415841160 (hardback) and 041584116X (hardback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 13411271