Children, rights and modernity in China : raising self-governing citizens / Orna Naftali, the Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Naftali, Orna
- Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire : Palgrave Macmillan, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- x, 173 pages ; 23 cm.
- Studies in childhood and youth
- Machine generated contents note: Children's rights and the distinct form of Chinese modernity -- The emergence of the child-rights discourse in the modern era -- Childhood, rights, and citizenship in post-socialist urban China -- Social and generational habitus in the formation of Children's rights -- Research populations and research methods -- Outline of the book -- 1. Recasting Children as Autonomous Persons: Children as Future Citizens and Workers -- The legal discourse of Children's rights in China -- "Children are masters of their own lives" -- Creating a democratic family environment -- Children's empowerment and the quality of the nation -- Concluding remarks -- 2. Children's Right to Self-Ownership: Space, Privacy, and Punishment -- Children and privacy in Chinese modernity -- "Each person has his own piece of the sky." and Children's right to bodily privacy and physical integrity -- "What right do you have to reproach him?" -- "We now have a law that protects us!" -- Discussion and conclusion -- 3. Constituting Rights as Needs: Psychology and the Rise of Middle-Class Childhood -- The psychological discourse of childhood in modern China -- Recognizing Children's developmental needs -- Learning should be fun -- Tending to students' emotional wellbeing -- Necessary reading for parents -- "You can barely call it a childhood" -- Concluding remarks -- 4. The Filial Child Revisited: Tradition Holds Its Ground in Modern Shanghai -- The attraction of tradition and the perils of freedom -- Respecting Children's rights or upholding filial piety? -- "The Loving Heart Passes On" -- Concluding remarks -- Conclusion -- Rights, intimacy, and belonging -- The political implications of China's child-rights discourse.
- 1137346582 (cloth) and 9781137346582 (cloth)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 145-168) and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries); 2014
View MARC record | catkey: 13591577