Convergence : facilitating transdisciplinary integration of life sciences, physical sciences, engineering, and beyond / Committee on Key Challenge Areas for Convergence and Health, Board on Life Sciences, Division on Earth and Life Studies
- Washington, D.C. : National Academies Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 137 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- National Research Council (U.S.). Committee on Key Challenge Areas for Convergence and Health, National Research Council (U.S.). Board on Life Sciences, and National Research Council (U.S.). Division on Earth and Life Studies
- "Convergence of the life sciences with fields including physical, chemical, mathematical, computational, engineering, and social sciences is a key strategy to tackle complex challenges and achieve new and innovative solutions. However, institutions face a lack of guidance on how to establish effective programs, what challenges they are likely to encounter, and what strategies other organizations have used to address the issues that arise. This advice is needed to harness the excitement generated by the concept of convergence and channel it into the policies, structures, and networks that will enable it to realize its goals. Convergence investigates examples of organizations that have established mechanisms to support convergent research. This report discusses details of current programs, how organizations have chosen to measure success, and what has worked and not worked in varied settings. The report summarizes the lessons learned and provides organizations with strategies to tackle practical needs and implementation challenges in areas such as infrastructure, student education and training, faculty advancement, and inter-institutional partnerships."--Publisher's description.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Other Forms:
- Also available via the World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 13594748