The young Velázquez : The education of the Virgin restored / essays by John Marciari, Carmen Albendea, Ian McClure, Anikó Bezur, and Jens Stenger, and Benito Navarrete Prieto
- The Young Velázquez: The Education of the Virgin Restored / John Marciari -- The Education of the Virgin: A Conservation Narrative and Technical Examination / Carmen Albendea, Ian McClure, Anikó Bezur, and Jens Stenger -- Education of the Virgin and the Shaping of Early Naturalism / Benito Navarrete Prieto.
- "Donated to Yale in 1925, the Yale University Art Gallery's Education of the Virgin--depicting Saint Anne teaching a young Virgin Mary to read--was long considered to be a work by an unknown Spanish artist. Considerably damaged, the painting was relegated to storage and never carefully studied until 2004, when John Marciari reattributed the work to Diego Velázquez (1599-1660), the most significant painter of the Spanish Golden Age. The extraordinary narrative of this painting and its reattribution is chronicled here, accompanied by a detailed description of the painting's conservation campaign and thoughtful analysis of the artist's technique."--
- 9780300207866 (paperback)
- "Published in conjunction with the exhibition El joven Velázquez: 'La educación de la virgen' de Yale restaurada, organized by the mayor of the city of Seville and the Yale University Art Gallery."
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 72-75).
View MARC record | catkey: 13595984