Roma Britannica : art patronage and cultural exchange in eighteenth-century Rome / edited by David R. Marshall, Susan Russell and Karin Wolfe
- Additional Titles:
- Art patronage and cultural exchange in eighteenth-century Rome
- London : British School at Rome, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- xxii, 342 pages, 32 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (some color) ; 28 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Marshall, David Ryley
Wolfe, Karin Elizabeth
British School at Rome
- Introduction -- Roma Britannica / David R. Marshall and Karin Wolfe -- Visual culture and the triumph of cosmopolitanism in eighteenth-century Rome / Christopher M.S. Johns -- Art for religion : Catholic Britain and Jacobites in Rome -- Andrea Pozzo and the venerable English College, Rome / Carol M. Richardson -- The Stuart court and the patronage of portrait-painters in Rome, 1717-57 / Edward Corp -- The cardinal's clothes : the temporary façade for the investiture celebration of Cardinal York in 1747 / David R. Marshall -- The art of Catholic recusancy : Lord Arundell and Pompeo Batoni / Peter Björn Kerber -- Culture for sale : British patrons, collectors, agents and the Roman art market -- Acquisitive tourism :Francesco Trevisani's Roman studio and British visitors / Karin Wolfe -- John Urquhart of Cromarty : a Jacobite patron in Rome / James Holloway -- Giovanni Paolo Panini's English clients / Alastair Laing -- John, 3rd Earl of Bute and James Byres : a postscript / Francis Russell -- Confrontations with the antique : the British reception of Egypt and Rome -- Roma Britannica and the cultural memory of Egypt : Lord Arundel and the Obelisk of Domitian / Edward Chaney -- Egypt, Rome and the concept of universal history / Elizabeth Bartman -- From Homer to Faustina the Younger : representations of antiquity in Batoni's British Grand Tour portraits / Edgar Peters Bowron -- Romanizing frescoes : from the Villa Negroni to Ickworth / Andrew Wallace-Hadrill -- Constructing the future on the ruins of the past : the British and the Roman practice of architecture -- Roma Communis Patria : Filippo Juvarra and the British / Tommaso Manfredi -- Planting "Italian gusto" in a "Gothick country" : the influence of Filippo Juvarra on William Kent / Katrina Grant -- "My Holy See of pleasurable antiquity" : Robert Adam and his contemporaries in Rome / John Wilton-Ely -- Vincenzo Brenna and his drawings from the antique for Charles Townley / Letizia Tedeschi -- Universal neoclassicism : old Rome and new Britain -- Commemoration "in a more durable and grave manner" : portrait busts for the British in early eighteenth-century Rome / Malcolm Baker -- "The Modern ... who recommends himself" : Italian painters and British taste in eighteenth-century Rome / Desmond Shawe-Taylor -- Between "old Tiber" and "envious Thames" : the Angelica Kauffman connection / Wendy Wassyng Roworth -- Fuseli's phallus : art and erotic imagination in eighteenth-century Rome / Kevin Salatino.
- Geschichte 1700-1800
- British—Italy—Rome—History—18th century—Congresses
- Cultural relations—18th century—Congresses
- Art, European—18th century—Congresses
- Art patronage—Italy—Rome—History—18th century—Congresses
- Art patronage—England—History—18th century—Congresses
- England—Relations—Italy—Rome—History—18th century—Congresses
- Rome (Italy)—In art—Congresses
- Rome (Italy)—Relations—England—History—18th century—Congresses
- England / Relations / Italy / Rome / History / 18th century / Congresses
- Rome (Italy) / Relations / England / History / 18th century / Congresses
- Proceedings of a conference held at the British School at Rome in 2006.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 13596240