- Cover; Contents; Introduction; Rationale; Overview of Textbook Objective and Components; 1. Overview of Proficiency Guidelines; Description of Assessment Criteria for ACTFL Advanced and Superior Levels; Defining Our Terms: What Does a Rating of Advanced or Superior on an OPI Tell Us?; What Does a Rating in the Advanced Range Mean?; What Does a Rating of Superior Mean?; Description of Assessment Criteria for the Common European Framework of Reference; 2. Task-Based Language Learning; Definition; Background; In Practice; Open versus Selective Enrollment; Proficiency Testing; Class Size
Cross-Cultural Dimensions of Debate3. Teaching Reading; Proficiency Guidelines for Reading; Research on Reading; Background Knowledge; Linguistic Knowledge; Strategic Knowledge; Readability (Text-Based Factors); Discourse Organization; Vocabulary; Length; Content and Interest Level of the Text; Scaffolding the Reading Process; Activate Prior Knowledge; Build Vocabulary; Concept-of-Definition Map for Introducing New Vocabulary; Word Structure Analysis; Word Walls; Spaced Repetition: Memory Boxes; Teach Comprehension; Questioning Strategies; During Reading Activities
Teaching Students to Ask QuestionsImprove Reading Fluency; Why Consider Fluency?; Shadow Reading; Rate Buildup Reading; Repeated Reading; Oral Paired Reading; Class-Paced Reading; Self-Paced Reading; Rereading (Different from Repeated Reading); Develop Strategic Learners; Extensive Reading; 4. Teaching Listening; Proficiency Guidelines for Listening; Research on Listening; Scaffolding the Listening Process; Selective Listening; Other Types of Listening; Intensive Listening; Responsive Listening; Extensive Listening; Types of Texts; 5. Teaching Writing; Proficiency Guidelines for Writing
Research on WritingGenres; Genre Analysis; Teaching Writing; Designing the Writing Task; Using Detailed Assignment Instructions and Grading Rubrics; Suggestions for Writing Assignments; Preparing Learners to Write; Listing; Freewriting; Clustering; Talking; Invention; Drafting; Sharing and Responding to Writing; Revising; Editing; Publishing; Feedback and Correction; 6. Teaching Speaking; Speaking Proficiency Guidelines; Research on Speaking; Types of Arguments; Determining Positions; Corners; Value Line; Scaffolding the Speaking Process; Responsibilities of Speakers; The Debate Process
Parliamentary DebateKarl Popper Debates; Lincoln-Douglas Debates; Alternative Debate Formats; Presidential Debate; Tag-Team Debate; Town Meetings; Forced Debates; Timed Pair Share; Paraphrase Passport; Affirmation Passport; Response Gambits; Talking Chips; Response Mode Chips; Socratic Discussion; Assessing Performance; Matter; Manner; Speaker Points; Suggested Speaking Assignment; Self-Assessment and Self-Reflection; Conclusion; Finding a Good Fit; Candid Input from Instructors and Students; Appendices; A. Sample Graphic Organizers; B. Rubric for Writing and Speaking
- Using debate to develop advanced competency in a second language is a method that is finding increased interest among instructors and students alike, whether in synchronous online teaching or the individual classroom. Through debate, students learn how to make hypotheses, support their conclusions with evidence, and deploy the rhetoric of persuasion in the target language. Though this method provides an exciting pedagogy for moving students from the advanced to the superior level, there is a paucity of materials available for instructors who wish to plan a curriculum focused on debate. Teachin.
- Language and languages—Ability testing
- Language and languages—Study and teaching
- Second language acquisition
- FOREIGN LANGUAGE STUDY / Multi-Language Phrasebooks
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / Alphabets & Writing Systems
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / Grammar & Punctuation
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / Linguistics / General
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / Readers
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / Spelling
- FOREIGN LANGUAGE STUDY / Miscellaneous
- 9781626161443 electronic bk.
1626161445 electronic bk.
- Description based upon print version of record.
C. Speaking Points Scoring Guide
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 2014
View MARC record | catkey: 13615304