Supplement [electronic resource] / Philo ; translated from the ancient Armenian version of the original Greek by Ralph Marcus
- Philo, of Alexandria
- Cambridge, MA : Harvard University Press, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Marcus, Ralph, 1900-1956
- Language Note:
- Text in Greek with English translation on facing pages.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- v. I. Questions and answers on Genesis -- v. II. Questions and answers on Exodus.
- The philosopher Philo, born about 20 BCE to a prominent Jewish family in Alexandria, was trained in Greek as well as Jewish learning. In attempting to reconcile biblical teachings with Greek philosophy he developed ideas that had wide influence on Christian and Jewish religious thought. The philosopher Philo was born about 20 BCE to a prominent Jewish family in Alexandria, the chief home of the Jewish Diaspora as well as the chief center of Hellenistic culture; he was trained in Greek as well as Jewish learning. In attempting to reconcile biblical teachings with Greek philosophy he developed ideas that had wide influence on Christian and Jewish religious thought. The Loeb Classical Library edition of the works of Philo is in ten volumes and two supplements, distributed as follows. Volume I: Creation; Interpretation of Genesis II and III. II: On the Cherubim; The Sacrifices of Abel and Cain; The Worse Attacks the Better; The Posterity and Exile of Cain; On the Giants. III: The Unchangeableness of God; On Husbandry; Noah's Work as a Planter; On Drunkenness; On Sobriety. IV: The Confusion of Tongues; The Migration of Abraham; The Heir of Divine Things; On the Preliminary Studies. V: On Flight and Finding; Change of Names; On Dreams. VI: Abraham; Joseph; Moses. VII: The Decalogue; On Special Laws Books I-III. VIII: On Special Laws Book IV; On the Virtues; Rewards and Punishments. IX: Every Good Man Is Free; The Contemplative Life; The Eternity of the World; Against Flaccus; Apology for the Jews; On Providence. X: On the Embassy to Gaius; indexes. Supplement I: Questions on Genesis. II: Questions on Exodus; index to supplements.
- 9780674994188 (v.1) (print)
9780674994423 (v.2) (print)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes index.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 13618639