Field lysimeter investigations [electronic resource] : Low-level waste data base development program for fiscal year 1993. Annual report Volume 6.
- Rockville, Md. : U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, 1994. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 51 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The March 28, 1979 accident at Three Mile Island Unit 2 released approximately 560,000 gal of contaminated water to the auxiliary and fuel handling buildings. The water was decontaminated using a three-stage demineralization system called EPICOR-II containing organic and inorganic ion-exchange media. The first stage of the system was designated the prefilter, and the second and third stages were called demineralizers. Research is being conducted at the Idaho National Engineering Laboratory on materials from four of those EPICOR-II prefilters. The Field Lysimeter Investigations: Low-Level Waste Data Base Development Program, funded by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, is (a) studying the degradation effects in EPICOR-II organic ion-exchange resins caused by radiation, (b) examining the adequacy of test procedures recommended in the Branch Technical Position on Waste Form to meet the requirements of 10 CFR 61 using solidified EPICOR-II resins, (c) obtaining performance information on solidified EPICOR-II ion-exchange resins in a disposal environment, and (d) determining the condition of EPICOR-II liners. Results of the eighth year of data acquisition from the field testing are presented and discussed. During the continuing field testing, both Portland type I--II cement and Dow vinyl ester-styrene waste forms are being tested in lysimeter arrays located at Argonne National Laboratory-East in Illinois and at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. The study is designed to provide continuous data on nuclide release and movement, as well as environment conditions, over a 20-year period. 24 references, 43 figures, 12 tables.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 05/01/1994., "nureg/cr--5229-vol.6", " egg--2577-vol.6", "TI94012768", and Sullivan, T.M.; Rogers, R.D.; McConnell, J.W. Jr.; Jastrow, J.D.; Sanford, W.E.
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Annual; 01/01/1992 - 12/31/1993
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 13802900