Factors affecting mutational specificity induced by ionizing radiation and oxidizing radicals [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1992.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: (4 pages) : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- We propose to analyze the factors affecting the specificity of mutational change as induced by ionizing radiation and oxidizing radicals. We want to understand not only the rules the affect base substitution but also the mechanisms(s) by which additions and deletions are produced, since deletions are a common consequence of radiation. We wish to carry out this analysis in an in vitro mutation system that permits us to analyze the role of base sequence, of polymerase and of mutagenic agent. Our system is designed to screen out most direct breaks as a cause of mutation and should indicate the changes resulting from base damage to the DNA. Questions addressed include: 1. What types of base substitution mutations are induced by ionizing radiation and oxidizing radicals 2. Are deletions and/or additions produced 3. Is there a difference in type of mutation produced dependent on the polymerase used Do mammalian polymerase plus their accessory factors result in different patterns of mutation. 4. What is the mechanism by which base damage is converted to mutation. Our proposal was based on utilization of an in vitro system in which mutations generated by the in vitro copying of a reporter gene sequence could be readily scored.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:doe/er/60678-4
- Other Subject(s):
- Biological Radiation Effects
- Cobalt 60.
- Ionizing Radiations
- Progress Report
- Strand Breaks
- Beta Decay Radioisotopes
- Beta-Minus Decay Radioisotopes
- Biological Effects
- Cobalt Isotopes
- Document Types
- Intermediate Mass Nuclei
- Internal Conversion Radioisotopes
- Isomeric Transition Isotopes
- Minutes Living Radioisotopes
- Nucleic Acids
- Odd-Odd Nuclei
- Organic Compounds
- Phosphorus-Group Transferases
- Radiation Effects
- Years Living Radioisot
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Chicago Univ., IL (United States)
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 13803121