Measurements of Total and Partial Charge-changing Cross Sections for 200-400 MeV/nucleon 12C in Water and Polycarbonate [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2011. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 28 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- We have studied charged nuclear fragments produced by 200 - 400 MeV/nucleon carbon ions, interacting with water and polycarbonate, using a newly developed emulsion detector. Total and partial charge-changing cross sections for the production of B, Be, and Li fragments were measured and compared with both previously published measurements, and model predictions. This study is of importance for validating and improving carbon ion therapy treatment planning systems, and for estimating the radiological risks for personnel on space missions, since carbon is a significant component of the Galactic Cosmic Rays.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 11/10/2011., "slac-pub-14711", "nucl-ex/0703043", Phys.Rev.C75:054606,2007 75 5 ISSN 0556-2813; PRVCAN FT, and Nakano, T.; Takahashi, S.; Sasaki, T.; Kodama, K.; Murakami, K.; Yusa, K.; Yoshida, J.; Fukuda, T.; Kameoka, S.; Aoki, S.; Nakamura, T.; Kubota, H.; Komatsu, M.; Naganawa, N.; Niwa, K.; Ozaki, M.; Sihver, L.; Toshito, T.; Amako, K.; Ban, T.; Natsume, M.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 13804971