High voltage research (breakdown strengths of gaseous and liquid insulators) and environmental effects of dielectric gases. Semiannual report, April 1, 1979-September 30, 1979. [Health and Safety Research Div. , ORNL] [electronic resource].
- Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 1980.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 128 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- A number of gas mixtures are suggested for industrial-scale testing. Electron attachment rates were measured and unfolded to give attachment cross section functions for CCl/sub 3/F, CCl/sub 2/F/sub 2/, and CClF/sub 3/ each in N/sub 2/, and for CCl/sub 3/F in Ar. Electron attachment rates were measured also for n-C/sub 6/F/sub 14/ in both Ar and N/sub 2/. The effects of molecular structure on energy, cross section, and lifetime of negative ion states of organic molecules were considered. A study was made of the potential role of electron detachment in breakdown. The role of dipolar scattering of electrons in inhibiting breakdown was investigated. The nature of synergisms among constituents of a gas dielectric mixture is discussed. Examples are cited from recent breakdown measurements. Breakdown measurements in plane-plane geometry were made for CF/sub 4/, 1,1,1-CH/sub 3/CF/sub 3/, and CHF/sub 3/. Similar measurements were conducted with binary mixtures containing one of (c-C/sub 4/F/sub 8/, SF/sub 6/) and one of (CF/sub 4/, CH/sub 2/F/sub 2/, 1,1,1-CH/sub 3/CF/sub 3/, CH/sub 2/F/sub 2/). Of special interest in these results were observed synergisms and the effect of dipole moment on the breakdown strengths. The initial fragmentation of 1,1,2-C/sub 2/Cl/sub 3/F/sub 3/ under electron impact was studied. Final decomposition products of sparked SF/sub 6//2-C/sub 4/F/sub 6/ mixtures were identified and quantified. The breakdown products of SF/sub 6/ were studied. Impulse measurements concentrated on c-C/sub 4/F/sub 8//SF/sub 6/ mixtures. Values of V/sub 50/, V/sub NO/, and V/sub 10x/ were obtained and evaluated. In the practical conditions of cylindrical geometry with and without surface roughness, many multicomponent mixtures of the gases SF/sub 6/, c-C/sub 4/F/sub 8/, 2-C/sub 4/F/sub 8/, N/sub 2/, and 1,1,1-CH/sub 3/CF/sub 3/ were tested, at both 1 and 4.4 atmospheres. The electric fields were calculated. In the study of liquid dielectrics n-hexane and perfluoro-n-hexane were tested. 35 figures, 20 tables.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Sauers, I.; James, D.R.; Christophorou, L.G.; Pai, R.Y.; Pace, M.O.; Mathis, R.A.; Bouldin, D.W.; Chan, C.C.; Frees, L.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 13808018