Genomic analysis of organismal complexity in the multicellular green alga Volvox carteri [electronic resource].
- Berkeley, Calif. : Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 2010. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 223 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Analysis of the Volvox carteri genome reveals that this green alga's increased organismal complexity and multicellularity are associated with modifications in protein families shared with its unicellular ancestor, and not with large-scale innovations in protein coding capacity. The multicellular green alga Volvox carteri and its morphologically diverse close relatives (the volvocine algae) are uniquely suited for investigating the evolution of multicellularity and development. We sequenced the 138 Mb genome of V. carteri and compared its ≈14,500 predicted proteins to those of its unicellular relative, Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Despite fundamental differences in organismal complexity and life history, the two species have similar protein-coding potentials, and few species-specific protein-coding gene predictions. Interestingly, volvocine algal-specific proteins are enriched in Volvox, including those associated with an expanded and highly compartmentalized extracellular matrix. Our analysis shows that increases in organismal complexity can be associated with modifications of lineage-specific proteins rather than large-scale invention of protein-coding capacity.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 07/01/2010., "lbnl-4207e", Science-Research 329 5988 ISSN 0036-8075 FT, Lucas, Susan; Lindquist, Erika; Grimwood, Jane; Schmutz, Jeremy; Shapiro, Harris; Salamov, Asaf; Mitros, Therese; Hellsten, Uffe; Rokhsar, Daniel S.; Grigoriev, Igor V.; Jurka, Jerzy; Kapitonov, Vladimir; Terry, Astrid; Prochnik, Simon E.; Umen, James; Nedelcu, Aurora; Hallmann, Armin; Miller, Stephen M.; Nishii, Ichiro; Ferris, Patrick; Kuo, Alan; Fritz-Laylin, Lillian K.; Chapman, Jarrod; Simakov, Oleg; Rensing, Stefan A.; Pangilinan, Jasmyn; Schmitt, Rudiger; Kirk, David., and Genomics Division
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 13808814