Towards richer descriptions of our collection of genomes andmetagenomes [electronic resource].
- Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy, 2006.
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- In this commentary, we advocate building a richer set of descriptions about our invaluable and exponentially growing collection of genomes and metagenomic datasets through the construction of consensus-driven data capture and exchange mechanisms. Standardization activities must proceed within the auspices of open-access and international working bodies, and to tackle the issues surrounding the development of better descriptions of genomic investigations we have formed the Genomic Standards Consortium (GSC). Here, we introduce the 'Minimum Information about a Genome Sequence' specification in the hopes of gaining wider participation in its development and discuss the resources that will be required to support it (standardization of annotations through the use of ontologies and mechanisms of metadata capture, exchange). As part of its wider goals, the GSC also strongly supports improving the 'transparency' of the information contained in existing genomic databases that contain calculated analyses and genomic annotations.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 06/01/2006., "lbnl--60477", ": 600305000", Nature Biotechnology 16 ISSN 1087-0156; NABIF9 FT, Taylor,C.; Cole, J.; Kennedy, J.; Kane, M.; Edwards, R.; Turner, S.; Stevens, R.; Lewis, S.; Wilson, G.; Vaughan, B.; Feldman, R.; Hughes, J.; Nelson, K.; Gray, T.; Field, D.; Cochrane, G.; Swift, P.; Thomson, N.; Tateno, Y.; Morrison, N.; Maltsev, N.; Markowitz, V.; Hancock, D.; Ashburner, M.; Selengut, J.; Boore, J.L.; Kolker, E.; Leebens-Mack, J.; Spiers, A.; Haft, D.; Methe, B.; Sansone, S.; Garrity, G; Whetzel,T.; Ussery, D.; Kyripides, N.; Joint, I.; Sterk, P.; Tatusova, T.; dePamphilus, C.; Faruque, N.; Gurr, S.; Hertz-Fowler, C.; Parkhill, J.; Tett, T.; Wipat, A., and COLLABORATION - U. CollegeCork/Ireland
- Funding Information:
- DE-AC02-05CH11231 and Y00013
View MARC record | catkey: 13809788