Process Design and Economics for Conversion of Lignocellulosic Biomass to Ethanol [electronic resource] : Thermochemical Pathway by Indirect Gasification and Mixed Alcohol Synthesis
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2011. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 187 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory (U.S.), United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- This design report describes an up-to-date benchmark thermochemical conversion process that incorporates the latest research from NREL and other sources. Building on a design report published in 2007, NREL and its subcontractor Harris Group Inc. performed a complete review of the process design and economic model for a biomass-to-ethanol process via indirect gasification. The conceptual design presented herein considers the economics of ethanol production, assuming the achievement of internal research targets for 2012 and nth-plant costs and financing. The design features a processing capacity of 2,205 U.S. tons (2,000 metric tonnes) of dry biomass per day and an ethanol yield of 83.8 gallons per dry U.S. ton of feedstock. The ethanol selling price corresponding to this design is $2.05 per gallon in 2007 dollars, assuming a 30-year plant life and 40% equity financing with a 10% internal rate of return and the remaining 60% debt financed at 8% interest. This ethanol selling price corresponds to a gasoline equivalent price of $3.11 per gallon based on the relative volumetric energy contents of ethanol and gasoline.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 05/01/2011., "nrel/tp-5100-51400", and Dutta, A.; Barton, D.; Hensley, J.; Dudgeon, D.; Ferrari, D.; Stears, B.; Hess, J. R.; Worley, M.; Talmadge, M.; Groendijk, P.; Searcy, E. M.; Wright, C. T.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 13809923