Footnotes in Gaza / Joe Sacco
- Sacco, Joe
- New York : Metropolitan Books, 2010.
- 1st pbk. ed.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 418 pages : chiefly illustrations ; 27 cm
- Sacco brings the conflict down to the most human level, allowing us to imagine our way inside it, to make the desperation he discovers, in some small way, our own. Rafah, a town at the bottommost tip of the Gaza Strip, has long been a notorious flashpoint in the bitter Middle East conflict. Buried deep in the archives is one bloody incident, in 1956, that left 111 Palestinians shot dead by Israeli soldiers. Seemingly a footnote to a long history of killing, that day in Rafah cold-blooded massacre or dreadful mistake reveals the competing truths that have come to define an intractable war. In a quest to get to the heart of what happened, Joe Sacco immerses himself in the daily life of Rafah and the neighboring town of Khan Younis, uncovering Gaza past and present. As in Palestine, his unique visual journalism renders a contested landscape in brilliant, meticulous detail. Spanning fifty years, moving fluidly between one war and the next, Footnotes in Gaza transforms a critical conflict of our age into intimate and immediate experience.
- Arab-Israeli conflict—1948-1967—Comic books, strips, etc
- Violence—Gaza Strip—Rafaḥ—History—20th century—Comic books, strips, etc
- Massacres—Gaza Strip—Khān Yūnus—History—20th century—Comic books, strips, etc
- Arab-Israeli conflict—1948-1967—Personal narratives, Palestinian
- Interviews—Gaza Strip—Rafaḥ
- Interviews—Gaza Strip—Khān Yūnus
- Khān Yūnus—History—20th century—Comic books, strips, etc
- Egypt—History—Intervention, 1956—Personal narratives, Palestinian
- Egypt—History—Intervention, 1956—Comic books, strips, etc
- Rafaḥ—History—20th century—Comic books, strips, etc
- 9780805092776 (pbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 13815276