Interactive open educational resources : a guide to finding, choosing, and using what's out there to transform college teaching / John D. Shank
- Shank, John D.
- San Francisco, CA : Jossey-Bass, a Wiley brand, 
- Copyright Date:
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xvi, 176 pages) : illustrations
- The Jossey-Bass higher and adult education series
- Cover; Title Page; Copyright; Contents; Preface: Transforming the Learning Experience through New Forms of Instructional Materials in the Digital Information Age; About the Author; Part 1 Interactive Learning Materials: Setting the Stage; Chapter 1 Interactive Learning Materials: Engaging Learners in the Emerging Digital World; The Rise of Interactive Learning Materials; Synopsis; Going Further: Recommended Reading; Chapter 2 Defining an Emergent Class of Educational Resources: Interactive Multimedia Modules, Simulations, and Games; Information Hierarchy; More than Just Words.
Making it Practical Synopsis; Going Further: Recommended Reading; Part 2 Finding ILMs: A Digital Exploration; Chapter 3 The Discovery Process: The Art of Discovering ILMs; Identifing the ILM Subject and Keywords; Browsing the ILM Collection; Searching the ILM Collection; The Type of ILM; The ILM Format; The ILM Audience; The ILM Language; The ILM Currency (Date, Timeliness); Where to Find ILMs; Reviewing the Results; Synopsis; Going Further: Recommended Reading; Chapter 4 The Pioneers: Searching Online Educational Repositories in North America and the United Kingdom; Search Strategy.
North America OER Commons; Europe Ariadne; United Kingdom; The Future of OER Repositories and Digital Libraries; Chapter 5 The Educators: Searching College and University Educational Repositories; Search Strategy Points; Wisc-Online; NCLOR; The Kentucky Learning Depot; Trailblazing in Search of Higher Education's ILM; Emerging Trends and Search Tools in Higher Education; Going Further: Additional Educational Repositories; Chapter 6 The Entrepreneurs: Textbook Publishers, Entertainment Media, and Educational Software Companies; Textbook Publishers; Entertainment and Educational Media.
Educational Software CompaniesChapter 7 The Exhibitors: Museums, Professional Organizations, and Governmental Organizations; Smithsonian Museums; Professional Organizations; Primo; Governmental (and Affiliated) Organizations and Agencies; NSDL; Part 3 Choosing and Using ILMs; Chapter 8 The Selection Process: How to Choose and Evaluate ILMs; Interactive Learning Materials Needs Assessment-Stage 1; Digital Learning Materials Learning Activities-Stage 2; ILMs and Bloom's (Revised) Taxonomy; Interactive Learning Materials Evaluation Criteria-Stage 3; Synopsis; Case Study.
Going Further: Recommended ReadingChapter 9 The Implementation Process: How to Instruct and Engage Students through ILMs; The Learning Management System and ILMs; ILM Enable Various Instructional Approaches; Synopsis; Going Further: Recommended Readings; Chapter 10 The Assessment Process: The Impact of ILMs on Student Learning; Pretest and Posttest; Mastery Learning; The Scientific Method; Case Study: Math 110 Student Usability Testing and Calculus ILM Evaluation; Synopsis; Going Further: Recommended Readings.
- "Sponsored by the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL), this one-of-a-kind book demonstrates the best tools, resources, and techniques for discovering, selecting, and integrating interactive open educational resources (OERs) into the teaching and learning process. The author examines many of the best repositories and digital library websites for finding high quality materials, explaining in depth the best practices for effectively searching these repositories and the various methods for evaluating, selecting, and integrating the resources into the instructor's curriculum and course assignments, as well as the institution's learning management system"--
- 9781118419670 (ebk)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 163-168) and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries); 2014
View MARC record | catkey: 13816022