Industrial Materials for the Future R&D Strategies [electronic resource] : A Case Study of Boiler Materials for the Pulp and Paper Industry
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2002.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 58 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- This report describes a case study performed by RAND and NREL of government-industry research and development (R&D) aimed at solving materials problems encountered by the forest products industry. The principal problem addressed by the R&D was the failure of tubes that carry water and steam inside boilers used to recover chemicals during papermaking. These recovery boilers are an essential component of the papermaking process because, in addition to providing recycled chemicals to the wood digester, they also provide a significant portion of the process steam and electricity required for plant operation. The industry estimates that, on average, for each day a recovery boiler is shut down, a company loses $300,000. The government-industry team performed systematic analysis, resulting in the recommendation of two possible solutions to the problem. This case study illuminated a number of critical factors in successfully solving industrial process problems through R&D that should guide future efforts.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:nrel/tp-620-32106
- Other Subject(s):
- Paper Industry
- Industrial Materials
- Boiler Materials
- Pulp And Paper Industry
- Forest Products
- Douglas Norland
- David R. Howell
- Richard Silberglitt
- Recovery Boiler
- Floor Tubes
- Kraft Chemical Pulping Process
- R& D
- Industrial Materials For The Future
- Babcock And Wilcox
- American Forest And Paper Association
- Energy Information Administration
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Howell, D.R.; Norland, D.; Silberglitt, R.
National Renewable Energy Lab., Golden, CO. (US)
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 13819079