Small scale structure on cosmic strings [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Energy Research, 1989.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: (20 pages) : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Energy Research
United States. National Aeronautics and Space Administration
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- I discuss our current understanding of cosmic string evolution, and focus on the question of small scale structure on strings, where most of the disagreements lie. I present a physical picture designed to put the role of the small scale structure into more intuitive terms. In this picture one can see how the small scale structure can feed back in a major way on the overall scaling solution. I also argue that it is easy for small scale numerical errors to feed back in just such a way. The intuitive discussion presented here may form the basis for an analytic treatment of the small structure, which I argue in any case would be extremely valuable in filling the gaps in our resent understanding of cosmic string evolution. 24 refs., 8 figs.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Symposium on the formation and evolution of cosmic strings, Cambridge (UK), 2-7 Jul 1989.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 13826012