Cross section measurements on radioactive samples [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1990.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: (10 pages) : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- We have developed a system over the past few years at the Manuel Lujan, Jr. Neutron Scattering Center (LANSCE) for making (n,p) and (n,α) measurements on (mainly) radioactive nuclei. Measurements have included ⁷Be(n,p)⁷Li, ¹⁴N(n,p)¹⁴C, ¹⁷O(n,α)¹⁴C, ²²Na(n,p)²²Ne, ²²Na(n,α)¹⁹F, ³⁵Cl(n,p)³⁵S and ³⁶Cl(n,p)³⁶S. The major basic physics motivation for these measurements has been the nuclear astrophysics to be learned. Currently, we are assembling a 4π detector of barium fluoride (BaF₂) for making (n,γ) measurements on radioactive nuclei with relatively short half lives. Once operational, this new detector should allow us to expand our measurements to many more nuclei, and to a broader range of nuclear physics and nuclear astrophysics issues addressed. Results of recent measurements are given and future plans are discussed. 38 refs., 2 figs.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:la-ur-90-3491
E 1.99: conf-901057--6
- Other Subject(s):
- Neutron Reactions
- Barium Fluorides
- Cross Sections
- Gamma Detection
- Measuring Instruments
- Alkaline Earth Metal Compounds
- Barium Compounds
- Baryon Reactions
- Fluorine Compounds
- Hadron Reactions
- Halogen Compounds
- Nuclear Reactions
- Nucleon Reactions
- Radiation Detection
- Published through SciTech Connect.
7. international symposium on capture gamma-ray spectroscopy and related topics, Pacific Grove, CA (USA), 14-19 Oct 1990.
Koehler, P.E.; O'Brien, H.A.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 13827458