Computer simulation of reconnection in planetary magnetospheres [electronic resource].
- Los Alamos, N.M. : Los Alamos National Laboratory, 1983.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 17 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Los Alamos National Laboratory
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- The earth's magnetosphere provides an ideal opportunity to model reconnection in well known geometries that are close enough to the idealized analytic models to make a comparison of the computer models with analytic theory meaningful. In addition more detailed, even three-dimensional, models can be used for a comparison with extended data from in situ observations. The computer studies have basically confirmed the reconnection picture that was based on two-dimensional steady state models and linear analytic theory. The three-dimensional models in particular have also added a lot more information on the reconnection process and the structure of flow, magnetic fields, and currents including many features that are consistent with observations and empirical models of geomagnetic substorms.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
International Astronomical Union symposium, College Park, MD, USA, 8 Aug 1983.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 13828474