NTD germanium [electronic resource] : a novel material for low-temperature bolometers
- Berkeley, Calif. : Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 1982. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 15 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Six samples of ultra-pure (absolute value N/sub A/ - N/sub D/ absolute value less than or equal to 10/sup 11/cm/sup -3/), single-crystal germanium have been neutron transmutation doped with neutron doses between 7.5 x 10/sup 16/ and 1.88 x 10/sup 18/cm/sup -2/. After thermal annealing at 400/sup 0/C for six hours in a pure argon atmosphere, the samples have been characterized with Hall effect and resistivity measurements between 300 and 0.3 K. Our results show that the resistivity in the low temperature, hopping conduction regime can be approximated with rho = rho/sub 0/exp(..delta../T). The three more heavily doped samples show values for rho/sub 0/ and ..delta.. ranging from 430 to 3.3 ..cap omega.. cm and from 4.9 to 2.8 K, respectively. The excellent reproducibility of neutron transmutation doping and the values of rho/sub 0/ and ..delta.. make NTD Ge a prime candidate for the fabrication of low temperature, low noise bolometers. The large variation in the tabulated values of the thermal neutron cross sections for the different germanium isotopes makes it clear that accurate measurements of these cross-sections for well defined neutron energy spectra would be highly desirable.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 06/01/1982., "lbl-14649", " conf-8206100-1", "DE82018580", 4. international neutron transmutation doping conference, Gaithersburg, MD, USA, 1 Jun 1982., and Haller, E.E.; Hansen, W.L.; Palaio, N.P.; Rodder, M.; Kreysa, E.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 13828542