A companion to the horror film / edited by Harry M. Benshoff
- Chichester, West Sussex, UK ; Malden, MA, USA : Wiley Blackwell, 
- Physical Description:
- xix, 588 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Benshoff, Harry M.
- Approaches and contexts. Cognitive and philosophical approaches to horror / by Aaron Smuts -- Horror and psychoanalysis: an introductory primer / by Chris Dumas -- Gender and sexuality haunts the horror film / by Daniel Humphrey -- The horror film as social allegory (and how it comes undone) / by Christopher Sharrett -- Avenging the body: disability in the horror film / by Travis Sutton -- Horror reception/audiences / by Matt Hills -- A's, b's, quickies, orphans, and nasties: horror films in the context of distribution and exhibition / by Kevin Heffernan -- Horror and the censors / by Julian Petley -- The form of horror. Carl Dreyer's corpse: horror film atmosphere and narrative by Robert Spadoni -- Horror sound design / by William Whittington -- Mellifluous terror: the discourse of music and horror films / by Joe Tompkins -- A history of the (western) horror film. Horror before "the horror film" / by Harry Benshoff -- Classical Hollywood horror / by John Edgar Browning -- Horror in the 1940s / by Mark Jancovich -- Science fiction and horror in the 1950s / by Steffen Hantke -- The gothic revival (1957-1974) / by Rick Worland -- International horror in the 1970s / by Peter Hutchings -- Slasher films and gore in the 1980s / by James Kendrick -- Millennial fears: abject horror in a transnational context / by Adam Charles Hart -- Torture porn: 21st century horror / by Isabel C. Pinedo -- Selected international horror cinemas. Spanish horror cinema / by Ian Olney -- Italian horror and the mezzogiorno giallo / by Xavier Mendik -- Recent trends in Japanese horror cinema / by Jay Mcroy -- South Korean horror cinema / by Daniel Martin -- Sisterhood of terror: the monstrous feminine of Southeast Asian horror cinema / by Andrew Hock Soon Ng -- Selected archetypes, hybrids, and crossovers. Vampires and transnational horror / by Dale Hudson -- Trash horror and the cult of the bad film / by I. Q. Hunter -- "Moody three": revisiting Ken Russell's The devils / by Joan Hawkins -- Horror's otherness and ethnographic surrealism: the case of The shout / by Adam Llowenstein -- The documentary impulse and reel/real horror / by Caroline Joan S. Picart.
- 9780470672600 (cloth) and 0470672609 (cloth)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 13830756