Technical progress in the development of zero emission coal technologies [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2002. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Additional Creators:
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- We present an update on the development of technologies required for the Zero Emission Carbon (ZEC) concept being pursued by ZECA Corporation. The concept has a highly integrated design involving hydrogasification, a calcium oxide driven reforming step that includes simultaneous C02 separation, coal compatible fuel cells for electricity production and heat recovery, and a closed loop gas system in which coal contaminants are removed either as liquids or solids. The process does not involve any combustion and as such has neither smokestack nor air emissions. An independent assessment of the concept by Nexant, a Bcchtel affiliated company, suggests a net efficiency of approximately 70% for conversion of the higher heat value fuel energy into electrical output. This is even after the penalties of carbon dioxide separation and pressurization to 1000 psi are taken into account. For carbon dioxide sequestration a variety of options are being considered, which include enhanced oil recovery in the near-term and mineral carbonation as a long-term approach. We report on our early results in the development of sulfur tolerant anode materials for solid oxide fuel cells; a critical analysis of the calcium oxide - calcium carbonate cycle; trace element removal; and the recent results of hydrogasification tests.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 01/01/2002., "la-ur-02-5969", Submitted to: 19th Annual Pittsburgh Coal Conference, Pittsburgh, PA, September 23-27, 2002., and Wang, J.; Garzon, F. H.; Mukundan, R.; Brosha, E. L.; Smith, B. F.; Ziock, H. J.; Guthrie, G. D.; Lackner, K. S.; Ruby, J. D.; Anthony, E. J.; Johnson, A. A.; Kramer, A.; Lau, Francis,; Robison, Thomas W.; Roop, B. J.
View MARC record | catkey: 13834723