Microbeam RBS on flat panel displays [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Energy Research, 1996.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 17 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Sandia National Laboratories, United States. Department of Energy. Office of Energy Research, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The authors have demonstrated the utility of microbeam - Rutherford Back Scattering (μ RBS) in spatially resolved studies of operational plasma effects on the interior surfaces of plasma flat panel displays manufactured by Photonics Imaging. The experiments were performed at the Sandia Nuclear microprobe using a 2.8 MeV He beam with an average beam spot size of less than 8μm. The interior surface of the top panes of the flat panels is composed of approximately 800 nm of MgO on top of a 2000nm thick PbO layer. μ-RBS of sample panels operated under varying conditions measured changes in the surface MgO film thickness due to plasma erosion and redeposition as accurately as ±1.5 nm. The high accuracy in the MgO thickness measurement was achieved by inferring the MgO thickness from the shift of the Pb front edge in the RBS spectrum. An estimate for the thickness accuracy as a function of the acquired statistics is presented. The surface of the flat panels` bottom panes is also comprised of MgO on top of PbO. However, troughs ∼100 μm wide by 10μm deep were partially filled with phosphor and cover the entire width of the surface. This leaves only 100pm long sections of MgO within the trough exposed. Using μ-RBS, the authors were able to analyze the surface composition of these regions.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:sand--97-1841c
E 1.99: conf-961120--3
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
5. international conference on nuclear microprobe techniques and applications (ICNMTA-5), Santa Fe, NM (United States), 11-15 Nov 1996.
McGrath, R.T.; Walsh, D.; Schoene, H.; Burkhart, J.H.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 13835675