Sulfur removal from high-sulfur Illinois coal by low-temperature perchloroethylene (PCE) extraction. Technical report, December 1, 1991--February 29, 1992 [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1992.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 16 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- A pre-combustion coal desulfurization process at 120°C using perchloroethylene (PCE) to remove up to 70% of the organic sulfur has been developed by the Midwest Ore Processing Co. (MWOPC). However, this process has not yet proven to be as successful with Illinois coals as it has for Ohio and Indiana coals. In addition, the high levels of organic sulfur removals observed by the MWOPC may be due to certain errors involved in the ASTM data interpretation; this needs verification. For example, elemental sulfur extracted by the PCE may be derived from pyrite oxidation during coal preoxidation, but it may be interpreted as organic sulfur removed by the PCE using ASTM analysis. The purposes of this research are to independently confirm and possibly to improve the organic sulfur removal from Illinois coals with the PCE desulfurization process reported by the MWOPC and to verify the forms-of-sulfur determination using the ASTM method for the PCE process evaluation.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:doe/pc/91334--t57
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Harvey, R.D.; Hughes, R.E.; Buchanan, D.H.; Lytle, J.M.; Frost, J.K.; Huffman, G.; Huggins, F.E.; Chou, M.I.M; Kruse, C.W.; Ruch, R.R.; Stucki, J.W.; Hackley, K.C.; Chaven, C.
Illinois State Geological Survey, Champaign, IL (United States)
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Quarterly; 04/01/1992 - 06/30/1992
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 13836077