Upgrading mild gasification liquids to produce electrode binder pitch. Technical report, December 1, 1992--February 28, 1993 [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1993.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 17 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- The objective of this program is to investigate the production of electrode binder pitch from mild gasification liquids. The IGT MILDGAS process pyrolyzes coal in a 1000°--1500°F (538°--816°C) fluidized/entrained bed to produce solid, gas, and liquid co-products. With Illinois coal, the 750° F+ (400°C+) distillation residue (crude pitch) comprises 40--70% of the MILDGAS liquids, representing up to 20 wt % of feed coal. The largest market for pitch made from coal liquids is the aluminum industry, which uses it to make carbon anodes for electrolytic furnaces. Traditionally, binder pitches have only been made from high-temperature coke-oven tars. In this project, crude pitch from the DOE-sponsored MILDGAS process research program is being modified by a flash thermocracking technique to achieve specifications typical of a binder pitch. A pitch thermocracking unit has been constructed for operation at 1200°--1800°F (650°--982°C). Atomization of the pitch at the thermocracker inlet is being examined as a method of optimizing the particle size of polymerized pitch components. With the production of cracked pitch samples, test electrodes will be fabricated using the best performing pitch samples and petroleum coke or calcined pitch coke filler.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Knight, R.A.; Banerjee, D.
Illinois Dept. of Energy and Natural Resources, Springfield, IL (United States)
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Quarterly; 01/01/1993 - 03/31/1993
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 13837344