Sequential low-temperature depolymerization and liquefaction of US coals. Progress report No. 3, April 1--June 30, 1987 [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1987.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 17 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- University of Utah, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The Elkhorn (Kentucky) coal sample, referred below as EH(KY) coal, had the following ultimate analysis (MAF basis), in wt %: C, 85--36; H, 5.69; N, 1.75; Cl, 0.18; S, 0.72; 0 (diff) 6.30. H/C atomic ratio - 0.80; ash content (dry basis), 6.60 %. The sample showed a calorific value of 14,324 BTU/ib (dry basis). As indicated by its ultimate analysis and calorific value, the EH(Ky) coal was of somewhat higher rank as compared with the previously studied HVB coal sample from Burning Star (Illinois no. 6). The EH (Ky) coal was subjected to the previously developed stepwise depolyermization-liquefaction procedure summarized in Figure 1 [for details see J. Shabtai, T. Skulthai and I. Saito, Am. Chem. Soc. Div. Fuel Chem. Prepr., 31 (4), 15--23 (1986)]. The procedure consists essentially of the following sequential steps: (1) Intercalation of the coal sample with catalytic amounts (5--20 %) of FeCl₃, followed by mild hydrotreatment (HT) of the coal-FeCl₃ intercalate; (2) base-catalyzed depolymerization (BCD) of the product from step 1, under super-critical conditions; and (3) hydroprocessing (HPR) of the depolymerized product from the two preceding steps, using a sulfided 6Co8Mo catalyst. A systematic study was carried out with the purpose of determining the optimal range of processign conditions for EH (Ky) coal in each step of the above sequential procedure.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:doe/pc/90537--t3
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Wiser, W.H.; Shabtai, J.S.
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Quarterly; 04/01/1987 - 06/30/1987
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 13839576