Coal liquefaction catalyst development. Quarterly progress report No. 2, July 1-September 30, 1979 [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1979.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 39 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The thermal and catalytic baseline runs continued with HDS-1442A as the reference catalyst and toluene soluble conversion as the basis for liquefaction performance. Results from these experiments suggested that a 30-minute run time should be selected for screening experiments. No promising candidates for testing in the continuous aging unit were identified. Catalyst Aging Tests: Eastern Coal was centered around evaluation of the new SRC II slurry oil as a liquefaction solvent as well as a design change in the catalyst basket for the continuous aging unit. Uncertainties in Run 5188 clouded the assessment of the slurry oil effect. Subsequent runs with the new SRC II solvent indicated that slurry oil effects are small. Catalyst Aging Tests: Western Coal concentrated on ascertaining the liquefaction behavior of a Western Coal such as Wyodak with AMOCAT type catalysts. Simplifications were made in the composition of our synthetic coal feed to improve analytical and kinetic accuracy. Using SRC II heavy distillate as the slurry oil and Illinois No. 6 coal feed, the results from the aging test are quite clear. The recently prepared 500 pound batch of AMOCAT 1A is good quality and exhibits highly improved performance over the H-Coal catalyst, HDS-1442A. Benzene and hexane soluble conversion are markedly higher with hexane soluble conversion declining less rapidly with time. The highly improved catalyst should be considered for future evaluation in the larger H-Coal process development unit.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:doe/et/14803-t3
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Kim, D. K.; Robinson, K. K.; Pellet, R. J.; Mahoney, J. A.
Amoco Oil Co., Naperville, IL (USA). Research and Development Dept.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 13840940