Apparatus and method for closed-loop control of reactor power in minimum time [electronic resource].
- Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy, 1988.
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Closed-loop control law for altering the power level of nuclear reactors in a safe manner and without overshoot and in minimum time. Apparatus is provided for moving a fast-acting control element such as a control rod or a control drum for altering the nuclear reactor power level. A computer computes at short time intervals either the function: .rho.=(.beta.-.rho.).omega.-.lambda..sub.e '.rho.-.SIGMA..beta..sub.i (.lambda..sub.i -.lambda..sub.e ')+l* .omega.+l* [.omega..sup.2 +.lambda..sub.e '.omega.] or the function: .rho.=(.beta.-.rho.).omega.-.lambda..sub.e .rho.-(.lambda..sub.e /.lambda..sub.e)(.beta.-.rho.)+l* .omega.+l* [.omega..sup.2 +.lambda..sub.e .omega.-(.lambda..sub.e /.lambda..sub.e).omega.] These functions each specify the rate of change of reactivity that is necessary to achieve a specified rate of change of reactor power. The direction and speed of motion of the control element is altered so as to provide the rate of reactivity change calculated using either or both of these functions thereby resulting in the attainment of a new power level without overshoot and in minimum time. These functions are computed at intervals of approximately 0.01-1.0 seconds depending on the specific application.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:us 4781881
- Other Subject(s):
- Apparatus Method Closed-Loop Control Reactor Power Minimum Time Closed-Loop Control Law Altering Power Level Nuclear Reactors Safe Manner Overshoot Minimum Time Apparatus Provided Moving Fast-Acting Control Element Control Rod Control Drum Altering Nuclear Reactor Power Level Computer Computes Time Intervals Function Rho Beta Rho Omega Lambda Rho Sigma Beta Lambda Lambda Omega Omega Lambda Omega Function Rho Beta Rho Omega Lambda Rho Lambda Lambda Beta Rho Omega Omega Lambda Omega Lambda Lambda Omega Functions Specify Rate Change Reactivity Achieve Specified Rate Change Reactor Power Direction Speed Motion Control Element Altered Provide Rate Reactivity Change Calculated Functions Resulting Attainment Power Level Overshoot Minimum Time Functions Computed Intervals Approximately 01-1 Depending Specific Application Control Element Control Element Nuclear Reactors Power Level Power Level Power Level Control Rod Nuclear Reactor Nuclear Reactor Time Interval Specific Application Time Intervals Reactor Power Reactor Power Reactor Power Minimum Time Minimum Time Minimum Time Closed-Loop Control Closed-Loop Control Safe Manner Control Law Loop Control Loop Control
- Published through SciTech Connect.
"US patent application 07/000,472"
Bernard, Jr., John A.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 13846131