Identifying and eliminating barriers faced by nontraditional Department of Defense suppliers / Amy G. Cox, Nancy Y. Moore, Clifford A. Grammich
- Cox, Amy G.
- Santa Monica, CA : RAND, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 55 pages ; 28 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Moore, Nancy Y., 1947-, Grammich, Clifford A. (Clifford Anthony), 1963-, Acquisition and Technology Policy Center, Rand Corporation, and United States. Department of Defense. Office of the Secretary of Defense
- Nontraditional Suppliers to the Department of Defense -- Attracting Nontraditional Suppliers: A Recurring Problem -- Industries of Greatest Interest to the Department of Defense -- Interview Results -- Conclusions and Recommendations -- Appendix A: Industries Linked to Future DoD Technologies -- Appendix B: Interview Protocols: Business Interview Protocol for RAND Study.
- The report seeks to identify barriers that companies face when attempting to enter into contracts with the Department of Defense (DoD), especially when they are not traditional DoD suppliers. To learn more about barriers, the authors interviewed personnel in companies that are in industries of likely interest to DoD and interviewed DoD personnel who work with suppliers. The interviews revealed some shared experiences that reportedly made some suppliers less willing to bid on DoD contracts: lack of access to and communication from DoD; DoD’s complex and inefficient bid and selection process; the extra work and delays entailed in DoD’s administration and management of contracts; and the lengthy funding time line and delays in final payments. DoD personnel interviewed had different perceptions, although they did confirm the existence of some barriers.
- Report Numbers:
- 083308044X (pbk. : alk. paper)
9780833080448 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- "RAND National Defense Research Institute."
This research was sponsored by the DoD Office of Small Business Programs and was conducted within the Acquisition and Technology Policy Center of the RAND National Defense Research Institute"--Preface.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 51-55).
- Other Forms:
- Also available on the internet via WWW in PDF format.
View MARC record | catkey: 13850652