Global health perspectives in prediabetes and diabetes prevention / [edited by] Michael Bergman
- New Jersey : World Scientific, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Bergman, Michael
- Diagnosis and definition / Martin Buysschaert, Vanessa Preumont, Jose Luis Medina, and Michael Bergman -- Epidemiology of prediabetes / Crystal Lee and Stephen Colagiuri -- Pathophysiology of prediabetes : role of lipotoxicity? / Amalia Gastaldelli and Ele Ferrannini -- Primary prevention trials in type 2 diabetes / Ambady Ramachandran, Chamukuttan Snehalatha, Samith A. Shetty, and Arun Nanditha -- Treatment of prediabetes / Muhammad A. Abdul-Ghani, Mustafa Kanat, and Ralph A. DeFronzo -- Diabetes prevention and nutrition policies from a global perspective / Eleanore Alexander, Deepak Patel, Katherine Tryon, Marieke Loubser, and Derek Yach -- Global health and governmental policies in diabetes prevention / Jean Claude Mbanya and Renee Bowers -- Building infrastructure and capacity for diabetes prevention in the United States / M. K. Ali and Ann L. Albright -- Epidemiological trends, risk factors, and prevention of diabetes : special focus on South Asians and migrants / Akhtar Hussain, Bishwajit Bhowmik, Fareeha Shaikh, Nayla Cristina do Vale Moreira, and AKA Khan -- European initiatives in diabetes prevention : policy perspectives / Peter E.H. Schwarz and Jaakko Tuomilehto -- Real life diabetes prevention in Europe / P.E.H. Schwarz and A. Gilis-Januszewska -- Characteristics of prediabetes/diabetes and prevention initiatives in East Asia / Hirohito Sone -- Real life diabetes prevention initiatives in India / Ranjani Harish, Mary Beth Weber, KM Venkat Narayan, and Viswanathan Mohan -- Diabetes prevention in the Middle East and North Africa region / Adel A. El-Sayed, Eman Sabet, and Amal Khalifa -- Prediabetes and diabetes prevention in South Africa / Naomi Levitt, Krisela Steyn, and Kirsty Bobrow -- Prevention of diabetes in Israel / Avivit Cahn, Ronit Endevelt, and Itamar Raz -- Diabetes prevention in Australia : the challenges of scaling-up and rolling-out programs / Philip Vita, Prasuna Reddy, Amy Timoshanko, and Stephen Colagiuri -- Prediabetes and diabetes prevention initiatives in Turkey / M.Temel Yilmaz and Sehnaz Karadeniz -- Prediabetes and diabetes prevention initiatives in Siberia, Russia / Mikhail Voevoda, Olga Sazonova, Galina Simonova, Yuri Nikitin, Eugene Shubnikov, Marina Fomicheva, and Elena Dergacheva -- Prediabetes and diabetes prevention initiatives in Latin-America (LA) / Rafael Gabriel, Clicerio González-Villalpando, Patricio López-Jaramillo, Tania Acosta, Ruy López Ridaura, Ramfis Nieto-Martínez, Jaakko Tuomilehto, and Pablo Aschner.
- This comprehensive text is unique in its compilation of experiences in addressing the global diabetes epidemic and description of diverse worldwide prevention initiatives. Background chapters describe the diagnosis and definition of diabetes, the epidemiology, pathophysiology of prediabetes as well as clinical trial evidence for diabetes prevention and treatment. Furthermore, the critical role of government in formulating a global health agenda, policy perspectives for European initiatives, the importance of nutritional policies for diabetes prevention as well as the development of the necessary capacity and infrastructure for diabetes prevention are described. Given the prevalence of diabetes in South Asians and migrants, one chapter focuses on risk factors and prevention of diabetes in these communities. Other chapters detail local and regional approaches covering a truly global span: United States, Latin America, Europe, India, Turkey, (Siberia) Russia, the Middle East and North Africa, South Africa, Israel, East Asia and Australia. Authored by academic experts in endocrinology and diabetes and global leaders in epidemiology and public health, this landmark text is an authoritative reference for a diverse audience including government, public health and policy experts and researchers, academicians, healthcare professionals, endocrinologists and clinicians interested in prediabetes and diabetes prevention, graduate students and faculty in public and global health graduate programs, epidemiologists, nutritionists, sociologists and those in translational medicine. Readers will broaden their awareness of the prevailing and burgeoning diabetes epidemic and the remarkably creative worldwide prevention initiatives undertaken to address the seemingly insurmountable inherent challenges posed by this global health care crisis. The text is an attestation to the wonderful potential for enormous human collaboration and achievement when communal organizations, governments at local, regional and national levels, researchers, the medical and public health communities, and nutrition experts join with global citizenry in confronting one of the most significant healthcare challenges witnessed in this century.
- 9789814603324 (electronic bk.)
9814603325 (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 13856164